Key Takeaways for Vacation Rental Managers:
- The Scale Green 2024 Conference is an industry-first event focusing on sustainability in short-term rentals (STRs), providing a platform for property managers to learn and implement sustainable practices.
- Industry professionals Bob Garner from EnviroRental, Marc Ribail from Qalia, Nikki Mattei from Nikki Mattei Sustainability Marketing, and Vanessa de Souza Lage from Sustonica are leading the conference with their combined expertise in sustainability and STRs.
- The conference itself embodies sustainability, minimizing its carbon footprint through practices that include a certified sustainable venue, vegan catering, no single-use plastic, and limited swag.
- Graham Donoghue from Sykes Holiday Cottages will share insights on balancing profit and purpose in vacation rentals, helping property managers prioritize sustainability without compromising profitability.
- Rachel Parsons’ session will highlight the role of guests and local communities in sustainability initiatives, emphasizing their importance in driving sustainable practices.
- Vanessa de Souza Lage from Sustonica and Marc Ribail from Qalia will discuss the benefits of sustainability certifications for STR businesses, demonstrating how they can stand out in a crowded marketplace and attract eco-conscious guests.
- A roundtable discussion featuring industry leaders, including Katy Davies from Host & Stay and Claire from Sykes Holiday Cottages, will offer firsthand experiences of implementing sustainability in the STR industry.
- Scale, formerly Scale Rentals, is an exclusive meetup for property managers worldwide, focusing on sustainable business growth and learning from experienced peers.
- The event is strictly for vetted property management companies with portfolios of 20 or more properties, ensuring a balanced mix of STR professionals and service providers.
- Scale’s success is attributed to its exclusive format, absence of non-authorized vendors, and curated content featuring insights from leading experts, trainers, and property managers. The Scale ecosystem has expanded to include events in France, Italy, the UK, and now features Scale Green.
- Bob Garner has long been a champion for sustainability within the industry, most recently through EnviroRental, and it’s heartening to see other influential voices joining this crucial conversation.
- Scale’s commitment to providing a platform for these discussions also demonstrates a recognition of the role our industry plays in mitigating environmental impact.
- The participation of industry leaders like Graham Donoghue from Sykes Holiday Cottages and Katy Davies from Host & Stay, both companies managing large property portfolios, provides a unique opportunity to learn scalable eco-friendly practices and understand their real-world impact.
- The Roundtable Panel, featuring Katy Davies and others, offers property managers a valuable platform to hear from peers managing significant property volumes, facilitating shared insights and actionable strategies for integrating sustainable practices on a broader scale.
- The event acknowledges the urgent need to make these actions a mainstream agenda within the industry, paving the way for more property managers to adopt and implement eco-friendly tactics.
Key Takeaways for Vacation Rental Managers:
- OVO Network, a top-rated European rental platform for self-catered chalets, has formed a partnership with HolidayHero, a leading guest experience platform.
- The HolidayHero platform offers an all-inclusive suite of tools to enrich every stage of the guest stay, from pre-arrival communications to in-stay services and post-departure follow-ups.
- The collaboration introduces a guest app as a digital extension of OVO Network’s brand, providing guests with access to important property details, local recommendations, and personalized services.
- OVO Network uses the HolidayHero platform to create tailored guest apps for over 200 properties, maintaining each chalet’s unique character and enhancing the guest experience.
- The integration simplifies operational processes and creates a comprehensive brand experience for guests.
- The move towards digitization is aimed at boosting guest loyalty and increasing direct bookings. For chalet owners not yet part of OVO Network, the Guest App technology may provide compelling reasons to join.
About OVO Network:
- OVO Network is a premier provider of high-end self-catered chalets situated throughout the Alps. The company was established in 2010, and has grown to manage an impressive portfolio of over 200 properties in sought-after resorts such as La Clusaz, Le Grand Bornand, Morzine, Combloux, St Gervais, and more.
- The company stands out by offering a comprehensive solution for chalet owners that encompasses management, marketing, and booking services. The properties under their management range from luxurious five-star chalets to charmingly renovated farmhouses.
- HolidayHero is a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) platform dedicated to redefining guest experiences in the hospitality industry.
- The platform equips hospitality businesses with the tools they need to surpass guest expectations. This is achieved through the implementation of guest apps that forge enduring relationships by delivering seamless, personalized experiences from the moment a booking is made until check-out.
- By leveraging the platform, hospitality businesses can streamline guest management processes, augment revenue, and cultivate guest loyalty.
- OVO Network has carved a name for itself in short-term rentals, particularly when it comes to guest experience.
- The company has consistently achieved high marks in this area, with an impressive average Airbnb guest review score of 4.93 in 2022. This success placed them as the second highest-rated midsize vacation rental management company in Europe.
- However, this average appears to have dipped to 4.82. Potential factors influencing this shift could range from onboarding new properties to various operational changes.
- Regardless, it’s clear that OVO Network is not resting on its laurels. The partnership with HolidayHero and the introduction of tailored guest apps indicate a proactive approach to enhancing guest experiences and boosting their scores again.
- For professionals managing properties in luxury markets, this move provides a valuable case study. It’s worth following OVO Network’s journey to see how the implementation of technology can elevate guest satisfaction levels.
- Moreover, OVO Network’s digitization efforts extend beyond guest experience. The company recently partnered with Mangopay to streamline its payment processes.
Key Takeaways for Vacation Rental Managers:
- Key Data, a leader in short-term rental (STR) market intelligence, has entered into an exclusive partnership with the Professional Association of Self-Caterers UK (PASC UK).
- This new alliance aims to provide unparalleled insights and data to the expanding U.K. short-term rental market.
- PASC UK will gain access to industry performance metrics such as occupancy rates, average daily rental (ADR), RevPAR, and more through Key Data’s market reports and data.
- Key Data acquires this information from Property Management Systems and Property Managers worldwide, ensuring reliable real-time insights and benchmarking.
- PASC UK members can access Key Data’s intuitive dashboard at a preferred rate, which includes over 40 key performance measures, crucial for optimizing short-term rental business strategies.
- The partnership is expected to aid PASC UK in advocating for the short-term rental industry more effectively by leveraging high-quality data.
About Key Data:
- Key Data is a leading data analytics platform in the vacation rental industry, providing real-time, accurate data insights to property owners, professional managers, investors, and Destination Marketing Organizations (DMOs).
- These tools enable users to make informed decisions related to pricing and marketing strategies.
- Key Data collects daily data directly from reservation platforms of lodging providers across more than 500 global markets. It also gathers information from Online Travel Agencies (OTAs) such as Airbnb, Vrbo, and Booking.com.
- By comparing this forward-looking data against over 45 key performance indicators (KPIs), Key Data provides a comprehensive analysis of the vacation rental market.
About PASC UK
- Established in 2017, the Professional Association of Self-Caterers UK (PASC UK) is dedicated to advocating for a balanced regulatory and taxation framework for the self-catering sector.
- Recognized as the largest membership association representing this sector in England and Wales, PASC UK is committed to ensuring all paid accommodation meets safety and legality standards.
- The association has been successful in securing business rate reductions for the sector, assisting the self-catering industry through changes to Fire Regulations, and leading action groups against insurers during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- This collaboration marks the fourth of its kind within a remarkably short time frame—less than eight months—under the leadership of Sally Henry at Key Data.
- The previous partnerships were with the Greek Short-Term Rental Association (STAMA), Australian Short-Term Rental Accommodation Association (ASTRA), and the Association of Scotland’s Self-Caterers (ASSC).
- For rental managers, these partnerships are not just symbolic but hold tangible value. Associations, like PASC UK, are at the forefront of advocating for fair regulations and taxation. With access to Key Data’s business intelligence tools, the efforts of these associations become significantly data-driven.
- These collaborations also enrich Key Data’s own datasets. As more managers connect to its tools through these partnerships, Key Data is poised to consolidate its position.